Monday, March 5, 2012

Colors: Black and White

Theme Of The Day: The Colors Black and White
Age: 22 months

Notes: Little M&M is due to arrive in three weeks, and so our tot school activities will gradually become fewer. Just three things today, but Honey Pot really enjoyed each one. And I think they were very successful in showing her the difference between these two colors, as she had been getting them confused!

Bah Bah Black/White Sheep
















This is a classic nursery rhyme that we have read many times in Honey Pot's Mother Goose book. I think it was nice for her to hear it in song, as she sang it all day long afterward. I printed this clip art from the Internet, matted them to cardstock and then glued a craft stick onto each one. As I held up the black sheep, I sang:

Bah, Bah, black sheep,
Have you any wool?
Yes, sir. Yes, sir.
Three bags full.

One for my master,
One for my dame,
And one for the little boy who lives down the lane.

Bah, bah, black sheep,
Have you any wool?
Yes, sir. Yes, sir.
Three bags full.

Then I would hold up the white one and sing the same song, replacing the word "black" with "white." Honey Pot loved hearing and singing along to the songs, as well as playing with the sheep as toys. So as we played, I tried to insert their color names into their dialogue. IE: "Hello, black sheep!"

Which Is Black/White?
I created these sets in Photoshop Elements. It is getting harder to think of images that I haven't yet used, but I managed! Honey Pot and I went over these a couple of times today, and each time she seemed to get the answer right more and more. I'm so pleased that she considers this more of a game than a quiz, because it definitely is effective in teaching her colors.


















































Sheep Craft
The idea and free printable for this craft came from All Kids Network. I asked Honey Pot if she wanted to do a craft. When she saw the glue, she grabbed it with a nod and hurried to her craft table. This girl loves glue! Without any instruction, she squeezed glue out onto the sheep's body.































Then I encouraged her to place the cotton balls onto the glue, and push them down.
















We added the head, facial features and legs.
















(See Daddy's hands! He had off work today, so he got to help!)
















And here is the final product! Honey Pot was so proud of her artwork, as always! We pointed out which parts of the sheep were white, and which were black.
















And for once when I asked her to pose for the picture, I got a not-so-cheesy smile out of her. Hooray!